Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"CHALLENGE ON THE SOUTH COAST"...SILENT MAID AND KATHLEEN!

Today I viewed the slide show, prepared by John Conway, author of "Catboat Summers" and an important member of the Cat Boat Assn.. The slide show is a historical representation of the races between Kathleen, a New England built Catboat  and the Silent Maid, a replica of an original design by Francis Sweisguth that has plied the waters on and around the Barnegat Bay for many years. You can look back at older posts to see some of her history in our local waters, as well as remarks prepared by Stan Grayson who wrote extensively about the Maid and his personal sail aboard the same. Incidentally, I was a member of the crew that took Stan for a sail on Barnegat Bay.

The DVD chronicles all the races that pitted the Maid and Kathleen in head to head competition, and because I have sailed on both vessels, I can put myself into each frame and feel the excitement that must have possessed the crew on each boat. My experience on the Maid, however, was on the original, not the replica. In any case, I enjoyed watching  the experience that each crew member lived.


DVD of "Challenge on the South Coast" by John Conway and the Cat Boat Assn.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment