Thursday, July 28, 2011

Entire Town For Sale!...Been There Many Times On My Sturgis Pilgramage!

Scenic, South Dakota is for sale, yes the entire town...news story included. But first a little history of the town and the owner, then some personal pictures.

Twila Merrill, the owner of this tiny town has owned it for many years and during that time she became quite famous for her Rodeo skills, she was crowned a Champion many times in her storied career. She is still a tough old gal who, now is fighting the battle of her life. She has cancer that has racked her body and threatens to put her to rest.

I first met Twila more than ten years ago on one of my motorcycle trips to Sturgis, SD for the famous Sturgis Bike Rally. Since that time, every time I make the trip out there I stop by and see Twila, last August was the last time I spoke with her. At that time I knew that she was ill and, truthfully, did not expect to see her still working at one of her stores, let alone seeing her alive. But there she was, working and greeting her customers as usual.

She has been shot, raised many children that were not her own,  gave them shelter and love when no one else cared for them. One of her more famous Foster children is Goldberg, the quite popular and flamboyant Pro Wrestler. She never hesitates to tell stories about him and exudes pride when his name is mentioned.

I have included some pictures and a link to the story of Scenic and the proposed sale of the town, nothing, however, can completely convey the history that is this town. When Twila passes a true Pioneer will be lost.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/own-own-town-800k-210019125.html  For the news story copy and paste this link


Now, my pictures:

Riding into Scenic
My friend George, second rider coming into town on a Sturgis Trip, 2007
George has since passed away

Outside the General Store, one of the more than ten buildings that go with the sale.
That's me and another buddy 2006
Business Card Twilla gave me in  2005

Front of Business Card 

The Saloon, notice that the shed roof and the sign are all covered with Steer sculls.
The sign used to read NO Indians allowed, several years ago it was changed to Indians Allowed.
George and a friend from Canada (Miko) standing  outside the Bar.












4 comments:

  1. mylifeintheblackhillsandbeyond

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually part of the Beyond, the Black Hills are awesome, especially when you enjoy them on a motorcycle. The food generally sucks, the best thing, however, are the Bison steaks in Deadwood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baydog, what happened yesterday? You called for a visit to Beaton's but you ended up being a no show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charley, I wasn't sure it went through. And then I didn't hear from you. I'll try next week. Which days are you typically around?

    ReplyDelete