Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Evening Sail

Being chased by a Squall
 
 
Last evening Roland and I set sail about 3:30 for an evening sail out to one of the Keys (Park Key), it was a great sail out with a steady breeze from the West, about 6-8Kts. As we arrived at our destination the sun was just setting and it would not be until sometime later that we would arrive back at our respective docks. As we came about we could see storm clouds brewing in the North, it was an angry looking affair that was making some fast tracks in our direction. We could see lightning in the distance and hear thunder following the strikes. There was not much we could do at this point except make the best of our little Catboat rigs to speed us home in time , before wind, rain and lightning closed in on us. As we approached our harbor the wind, as so often happens before the arrival of a squall, died leaving us just a little apprehensive. "Hey Roland, time for the iron wind". As quickly as I got those words out of my mouth, our little 2.3 HP Honda's were purring and propelling us to our home bases.
 
Update, the storm, no small affair, passed us to the East and missed us entirely. Would we have missed this sail and the opportunity to enjoy the Florida Bay in the evening, no chance. Keep a weather eye and you will almost always be safe in this region.
 
 
Here are a few pictures of our evening sail.
 
 
Meeting up with Roland aboard IBIS for an evening sail.

PUFFIN, heading out to Park Key, in the Florida Everglades.

Park Key in the distance.

Clouds gathering in the North

PUFFIN under a shroud of clouds.
Heading back, following Ibis and her stern light.

This beautiful backdrop turns very angry in just a few minutes.


 

Sunset over Bottle Key
 


4 comments:

  1. The photos are stunning. K and I love sailing in 6 to 8 knot winds. It seems just right for a relaxing, yet fun, day on the water. I can see why you would not want to miss this sail in the Florida Bay in the evening.

    By the way, I apologize that your blog got dropped from my blog roll during your writing hiatus this year. I only now noticed that! DOH! The good news is a) I have reinstated it; and b) I do not monitor a nuclear reactor for a living. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note Pandabonium, I always like to hear from visitors to my Site, but seldom do.

      Delete
  2. 6-8 is always perfect for me, I can relax at the helm, enjoy the sights and contemplate how fortunate I am to have this wondrful life. The same goes for when I head out to the Back Country in my Flats boat, exploring those waters while fishing for dinner is the best. I will let you in on a little secret, even if I don't catch dinner, the experience of being out on the water is enough reward. I do enjoy the Everglades and the wildlife watching it affords me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got your priorities exactly right.

    ReplyDelete