Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Back Home, This Is My Other Port!

LEE MARIE , back home waiting to be rigged and docked at Marie's
Mike Lee and Marie Darling built this boat from a kit in 1970
The view from Mike Lee's, now enjoyed by Marie Darling
Mike's place overlooks the Pond and Beaton's
LEE MARIE will occupy the slip in the foreground
This is the area where I have spent every summer for the better part of fifty one years, either at Beaton's or Mike Lee's next door. This is where I learned to sail, do woodworking and made great friendships that have lasted as long.

When I first came to Beaton's, Pop Beaton was the man that I gravitated toward, every Sunday we would talk and he with his extraordinary manner would share invaluable advise to me concerning old wooden sail boats that I was trying to make whole again, I even worked at the Yard for two summers back then. Lolly Beaton, Pop's son was the next to take the reigns for many years, I remember Lolly as a very gentle and kind man. Now there is Tom,  Lolly's son who is responsible for the day to day operations. I would be remiss, however, if I did not mention the contribution of Teddy Beaton, Lolly's  brother, who, in my mind is responsible for saving the many buildings that had fallen into disrepair. Teddy, also added many new docks and provided some firery conversation along the way. Oh, by the way, if you need a sail made or just repaired there is Mark Beaton, of Beaton Sails, who runs a sail loft above the main shop. Beaton's has long been the go to yard for anything wood and it looks to continue that tradition for some time in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I missed that yard and the characters that make it what it is.

    ReplyDelete