Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Let There Be Catboats And Catboats And Catboats!

Beaton's is the default repository for a large number of Catboats;  Marshall's, Menger's, Cape Cod Catboat's and even a few Atlantic City Catboat's thrown in for good measure.

Each winter Catboat owner's make the pilgrimage to Beaton's to have their boats stored, repaired, refurbished or all three. The photos that are presented here shows just how many are tucked away each year until Spring arrives and like so many flowers come to life and blossom for another season on the bay. It is here that I got my first taste of Catboat's, at the urging of Bad Bob Reddington. It was Bob that built a fire within my soul for these smart little boats, a fire that has lasted these many years and has even traveled with me to the Florida Keys, where like Bad Bob, I am trying to instill that same passion in others. Eight years ago there was only one Catboat on the Florida Bay, that was Roland Barth's CCC, now there is a small fleet and a fledgling Southern most Catboat Assn. We anticipate more arrivals each year and the camaraderie that builds with each addition


A row of Marshall Sandpipers

Opposite, a long row of Marshall Sanderlings

Two of many 22' Marshalls

An early entry

One of the few Mengers

1 comment:

  1. Hello...I came across this post and noticed your Menger photo...and I say to myself low and behold that’s our cat…it’s name MayFax...this name is in celebration of how I met my wife…the month, May, via a fax in NYC back in the 80’s…Beaton’s is just around the corner from our summer home…it fills all the quintessential and classic notions of what a true old time boat yard is all about…their wood working skills are pure craftsman ship…our cat was there getting it's yearly Spring once over…thanks so much for the post Sandscraper.

    ReplyDelete