Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Another visit to Nest Key

A Meeting Place In The Everglades National Park
 
Each winter, either by myself or with other sail boaters, I sail out to Nest Key to appreciate the natural beauty of the Florida Bay and the Everglades National Park. Since this is one of the only Keys in the Park that you can actually walk on, it is a popular destination. During the summer months you can find large numbers of boaters anchoring and enjoying the warm water and sandy beach, during the winter months, however, there is not much in the way of visitors as you can see by my photos.
 
The sail out from my community harbor is about six miles, taking any where from an hour and a half to two hours, depending upon the wind and water conditions. Today, with the wind blowing between 15 and 20 Kts, with two reefs we made it in an hour and a half. The trip back, a bit more challenging, presented us with winds reaching upwards of 25Kts. with seas running about one to two feet.
 
Making the sail today was Roland Barth, aboard his Marshall Sanderling Ibis, Mary Cahill and Rick Beeman aboard their Sandpiper Seabean and me sailing my Sanderling Puffin.
 
Puffin

Sea bean


Ibis

Ibis, Puffin and Sea bean

Fiftieth Anniversary flag of the Catboat Association, on a Pig Stick at the top of my mast


No comments:

Post a Comment