Monday, June 21, 2010

Sandscraper Remembered

Sandscraper was strip planked with cedar, therefore she required very little, if any ribs. She was a center boarder designed for sailing in the waters off the Bahamas. There were five built and she was the cover story of the 1947 issue of Yachting magazine. Ray Hunt designed this boat on a whim and the original lines are said to have been sketched on a napkin. Ray Hunt was a prolific sailboat designer, he also designed the 110 and 210 racing class, although he might be best remembered for his design of the Bertram 31 and the ever popular Boston Whaler. Photo courtesy of Harry Sowell aboard Talisman.

2 comments:

  1. Charley: I sailed on Sandscraper in the mid-70's with Fred Wiedeke. Loved the boat, and sorry to hear about her demise. I own a 1964 Sanderling. Hull #38 and sail on the Chesapeake and Barnegat Bay. Would love to hear more about your time with Sandscraper.
    David Morrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, I owned Sandscraper for about 11 years, she was the best boat I've ever owned or sailed. To this day I still dream about her, I am always disappointed when I wake up and realize that it was just a dream.
    After I purchased Sandscraper, I completely refurbished her and when I first sailed her back to Fred's marina, he was so pleased, we became very good friends. Sandscraper was always welcome at Stump Creek.
    Each summer I lived aboard Sandscraper at Mike Lee's place, located right next to Beaton's.

    Charley

    ReplyDelete