Wednesday, June 8, 2011

HOVE TO ON SWAN POINT!

"Honey, I think you 're out of the channel!" Famous last words before BABOOM!!

According to all sources the operator of this vessel was just out for an evening ride, about ten o'clock pm with almost no moon, when he came to rest on Swan Point. Swan Point is just South of the Mantoloking Bridge, West of Mantoloking and East of Beaton Boatworks. Over the years that I have been hanging around Beaton's, 50 to be exact, there have been many who have tried this same short cut, with the same results.

Floating the boat took several Tow Boats from Boat US' fleet, however, after fitting a bridle around the stern and led to the bow it was not long before this hapless boat and her crew were once again bobbing up and down on the surface which she was designed to operate. I have provided some pictures to tweak your imagination, to give you an idea what it must have felt like to run aground this hard in complete darkness.

High and dry

Off Mantoloking, On Swan Point

A real classic design, right Mr. Herreshoff?

Facing the correct way

The Fleet, I think I can, I think I can!

Taking in scope

Free at last, to do it again another day

1 comment:

  1. Only one problem with that Baydog, tupperware does not rot! However it would make a good reef.

    ReplyDelete