Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Nest Key Revisited...First This Season

North Nest Key is one of two keys located in the Florida Bay, about seven miles North of where I live in the Keys. It is in the heart of the Florida Everglades National Park and one of only a few Keys that you can actually land on. You can camp there but you must have a permit and as on all the Keys in the Everglades, you cannot have pets on land. Nest key is a favorite stop for avid Kayaker's as the trip out and back is moderately challenging, especially if the wid kicks up.

Yesterday, after communicating with two other Catboat owners, we all agreed to meet at Nest Key for lunch. I was the first to arrive, as I left early, then came Roland on Ibis, after a short time JC and Rose on Green Eyes arrived. It was a great sail out and back. The wind was perfect, 10 - 15 ESE, so one long tack out and two tacks back.

I am posting 4 pictures taken from my cellphone, the reason being that my regular camera battery was dead. I will post other pictures as they arrive.

LEE MARIE sitting quietly off Nest Key!

Nest Key shoreline

One of several Star Fish I saw yesterday
The Star Fish is under a foot of water here
Roland and IBIS, foreground
CB and LEE MARIE middle ground
Green Eyes and owners JC and Rose background

Trying out a new motor here, donated by a friend
2.5 HP Evinrude

6 comments:

  1. With cell photos like these, who needs a camera? Beautiful, Charley. No wonder you don't winter up here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh, this is not too shabby, the sailing is some of the best I have ever had, if not the best. We sailed all day yesterday, we only saw boats that were in our group. It is very rare that we encounter another vessel North of the Inand Waterway, which is only 1/8 mile from where I am located.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. So beautiful. Nice to have a boat you can beach, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a centerboard boat, the draft goes from only inches at the bow to eighteen inches at the stern. There is a skeg/keel that runs from amidship to the stern,it is good protection for the type of bottom we have around these waters.

    To get a good idea what the sailing area around here is like, Google Tavernier, Fl. then move N to see the Fl. Bay and the Everglades National Park. Look for Nest key and voila, that's where we were. We also sail in Buttonwood Bay and Blackwater Sound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heaven better look exactly like your pictures or I will not go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are times when I think I am in Heaven. Sometimes I say to myself," if I am sleeping never let me wake, if I am awake, never let me sleep". That quote, by the way is from Karate Kid I, Miagi san's father said that just before he died. Oh well, I thought the quote was good.

    ReplyDelete