Friday, November 18, 2011

Outward Bound...A look back through todays sailors.

Back in the late sixties, I had the wonderful opportunity to participate in an Outward Bound program. The course was a sailing course that took place on Blue hill Bay and surrounding areas of Maine waters. The vessels were 30' double ended pulling boats, with a co-ed crew of twelve people, powered by either wind or rowing. These stout little vessels had no head, no cleaning facilities or bunks on which a person might catch a good nights sleep. The course lasted thirty days, no base camp, just small islands which became our homes for the night.

I learned a great deal about working with others, team work, group dynamics, and yes, when to keep my mouth shut. It is because of the lasting impact that this course had on me and my teaching, every chance I get to talk with other students, especially during their course, I jump at the opportunity. There is an Outward Bound school here in the Keys, they go out in similar craft as I did and in a new and improved version. Every time I see them out on the Bay I either sail or motor out to greet them, take their pictures and post them on my Flickr site so their families can share a little of what it was like.
Here are a few pictures and videos of some of those encounters. The first two videos are of the Old School vessels and the third is the modern day version, even has a head.





No comments:

Post a Comment