Sunday, January 29, 2012

Permit Fishing In The Fl. Keys, Florida Bay

This video is of my first catch of a fish called a Permit. Permit are elusive, big, feisty, taste good and will run off with your line before you know it.

My fishing partners are two Canadians, Wayne and a chap named Shoel, who are childhood friends. Wayne is the experienced Permit man, he knows their habits, how to present bait to them and how to land them. I learned much today, Wayne lost his first one, then Shoel missed and voila I had one on. It took me a full half an hour to land this fish, at times I thought I would never bring it to the boat because of the light tackle I was using.

The video was edited to meet the length requirements of YouTube, it was twice as long before editing.
I used a GoPro Hero2, Outdoor Edition to film the catch, the jumping in the video is from the editing process. I hope to use this same camera to video sailing and motorcycling trips.
If you are a fan of fishing, grab a beer, a handful of  chips and enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. Impressive! It's a shame you're not enjoying yourself down there, Charley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you Baydog, you are a Loyalist. I am contemplating cloning you so I will get more comments, even Pandabonium seems to have fallen by the wayside.

    Just kidding, I am mainly doing this so that I will have some sort of record of my life so when I go to the great "Beyond", people can look back and say, he lived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're re-writing the book on living.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life of Riley. You have succeeded in setting up an "endless summer" for yourself. As for me, I've tried the same, but have "fallen by the wayside" and it gets cold by the wayside. :0

    Verification: "tershmat" - what visitors use to wipe their tersh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are those that say they love the change in seasons, I agree to some extent, I draw my line at the Winter season. My old bones can no longer tolerate the cold and dampness of our Northren climate, hence I follow the warm weather South.

    "Wayside", in rail terms means, giving the right of way,I suppose that my meaning was to say that you have gotten out of the way (wayside) so winter can pass and you can resume a more comfortable and fulfilling life (sailing Etc.)in the warm weather.

    I was wondering, do you still frequent Mama's in the winter?

    I don't always say exactly what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fallen by the wayside in rail terms means you got out of the way, but landed on your ass.

    We just visit Mama's if we are in the area. Last time we out to lunch was New Year's day. I should post about that - it was quite a day.

    ReplyDelete