Sunday, August 21, 2011

My Heart Is Touched By This Event and Follow up Story!

While visiting Japan for the first time in 1986, I found a wonderful society that was proud, intellectual, neat, generous and above all honest. I can attest to the last statement out of personal experience...I had just landed in Japan after a long flight from NJ and needless to say I was tired from the flight that had taken many hours to complete, not to mention the Sake that some US Sailors and I consumed along the way. After deplaning, I met my host who was putting me up for a few weeks before I started my back packing trip, in my haste to get some rest I inadvertently left one of my bags in the airport lobby, that one contained my money, travelers checks Etc. About thirty minutes driving from the airport I  realized that I had forgotten my bag, we turned around and went back to the airport, not expecting to find my bag. My friend said" don't worry, it will be there". Lo and behold, after what seemed like an eternity, I arrived back where I thought I had left my bag, there it was, untouched and everything intact! I was pleasantly surprised and actually witnessed many other acts of kindness and honest behaviour during my three months there.

A few years later, as a teacher in Jackson Township, several other teachers and I were invited by the Japanese Government to take part in an exchange athletic program. After agreeing, we packed our bags along with thirty six high school students and flew to Japan for what turned out to be a wonderful and rewarding trip. We were there for Christmas and to help usher in the New Year. No incidents or drama, just a great time. We were put up in the Keio Plaza Hotel during our stay and if you remember, that is where George Bush, the elder stayed during one of his visits.


http://www.nerve.com/news/current-events/japaneese-residents-return-over-78-million-from-earthquake-wreckage

If you read the accompanying story, you will see what I mean. My friends in Japan, you should be proud of your country men and women, I wish you all the best, and hope that you can get your lives back to normal after this terrible tragedy.



No comments:

Post a Comment